Posted on June 25, 2017
I Went looking for photo subjects in the yard after a rain storm. I found this Day Lily which had quite a few water drops over the flower. I was shooting @ f/2.8 for a softer background, since there were other plants & leaves close behind the flower. So I shot 6 images adjusting focus on the areas I wanted more in focus to maintain a softer background. Combined in Photoshop for the effect I was looking for.
Posted on June 22, 2017
The Day Lily’s were blooming in our garden, so I wanted to do some closeup image stacks for practice. Usually I use a 50mm or 100mm macro lens, but I wanted a little more distance to concentrate on the stamens. It was a cloudy day so it was as if I was using a giant soft box so there were no harsh shadows to deal with. I used a 150mm macro to help concentrate on the stamens and still give me the working distance I wanted. This was a 6 image stack, focused pretty much just on the stamens. I did not want the whole flower in sharp focus, so I concentrated my focus stack only anthers on the end of the stamens. Again combined and assembled in Photoshop. Each Lily has 6 stamens attached at the base of the petals, and each stamen has a stalk called the filament that ends with a two-lobbed anther filled with yellow dust like yellow pollen.
Posted on September 11, 2015